Considered one of the best dystopian films of all time, Children of Men is a movie that truly lives up to its hype. Released in 2006, the film is set in 2027 London, which has become a chaotic and dangerous place due to worldwide infertility, political turmoil and immigrants being persecute. Alfonso Cuarón directs this stunning and gripping movie with a great sense of realism, exploiting London’s already dramatic environment for maximum effect.
The story focuses on the character of Theo Faron (Clive Owen). He is a former political activist who finds himself in charge of protecting Kee (Clare-Hope Ashitey), an illegal immigrant who happens to be the first pregnant woman in 18 years. Throughout the movie, Theo must safely transport Kee throughout London’s desolate suburbs as they flee from a corrupt government organization that desperately wants to get hold of Kee and her unborn child.
The visual style of Children of Men is really impressive. Cuarón uses extended single shots to give the audience a real feeling of being caught in the chaos with Theo and Kee. This technique imitates the audience’s experience, making them feel uneasy and vulnerable during exciting action scenes – much like Theo himself.
The performances are also outstanding. Clive Owen brings realism and subtle emotion to Theo, while Julianne Moore (as Julian) gives a powerful performance as she opposes an oppressive government system. The supporting cast is also great, especially Michael Caine as Jasper – a role he was born to play.
All-in-all, Children of Men is an example of artistry at its best. It’s a captivating story that features stellar performances and incredible visuals. The movie is truly one of the best dystopian films ever made, and is well worth your time.
Quotes from Children of Men
1. “The only hope is to believe that they don’t understand the darkness they are creating.” – Theo Faron (Clive Owen)
2. “If we stay here, we’ll die. If we leave, we might die, too. But at least we’d die together.” – Kee (Clare-Hope Ashitey)
3. “We know the world is messed up, but the idea is to survive.” – Julian (Julianne Moore)
4. “Despair is a weapon of the enemy and it must be kept at bay.” – Jasper (Michael Caine)
5. “Is this what you want, is this what you fought for?” – Theo Faron (Clive Owen)
Children of Men Trailer